Minestrone with Garden Style Pasta Sauce
½ cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup sweet onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrots, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 cup zucchini, cut into ½ inch pieces
2 cups cabbage, cut into small pieces
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 quart chicken broth
1 jar DelGrosso Garden Style Sauce
½ cup water
Parmesan cheese for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil and butter in stock pot over medium-high heat, then sauté onions, celery, and carrots until soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add garlic, oregano, cabbage, and zucchini. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and stir through.
- Pour sauce into pot. Add ½ cup of water to jar, place lid back on and shake, pouring excess sauce into pot.
- Add beans and cooked elbow macaroni. Stir through.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for one hour.
- Serve in bowls, then garnish with grated or shaved Parmesan cheese.
Try a variety of beans such as cannellini beans or chickpeas. For spicy minestrone, add 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes. For a gluten-free option, omit pasta and substitute cubed potato. You may have to add extra chicken broth the next day as pasta absorbs the liquid.