Italian Tailgate Squares with Meatless Pasta Sauce
2 8 oz cans crescent dough sheets
8 slices mozzarella cheese
8 slices provolone cheese
8 slices capicola ham
8 slices Genoa salami
12 slices pepperoni
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 10 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
1 2 oz can sliced black olives
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Pepper to taste
1 egg white, beaten
2 Tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 up DelGrosso Meatless Sauce
• Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
• Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
• Unroll one package of crescent dough sheets and press into pan. Cover bottom of pan and 2/3 up the sides of the pan.
• Place the slices of mozzarella cheese on top of the dough, and continue layering with ham, salami, provolone cheese, and pepperoni.
• Top with artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, and olives.
• Season with pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
• Unroll second crescent dough sheet and place on top of vegetable layer. Press the dough to the sides of the pan to seal.
• Brush the dough with egg white and sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese and Italian seasoning.
• Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 20 minutes until dough is golden brown.
• Heat sauce on medium heat. Set aside.
• Remove Italian tailgate squares
If you use crescent rolls instead of the sheets, be sure to seal the perforated edges. Experiment with other cheeses such as cheddar, Gouda, or feta cheese. You may use other vegetables, such as sun-dried tomatoes or caramelized onions. Instead of using sauce for dipping, add the sauce inside the squares.